Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Can Say These Things Because I'm the Mama

I have to brag about my sweet B for a second. He is 3 and some change (his birthday was March 14th) and he continues to AMAZE us. He knows normal things like ABC's, colors, can count to about 25, and loves music and reading. Also, he knows tons of opposites. My Mom, who teaches K5, says some of her students don't even understand opposites. So far, he knows these:

Full/Empty
Front/Behind
Up/Down
Correct/Wrong
Right/Left
Under/Over
Night/"Nornin" (Morning)
Dark/Light
Hot/Cold
Tall/Short
Big/Little
Many/Few
Stop/Go
Fast/Slow
Clean/Dirty

We are trying to teach him fast, faster, fastest and the like. Here is our conversation the other day:
Me: Beckett, what comes next: big, bigger...
Beckett: My Buddy
Me: No, biggest. How about this: tall, taller....
Beckett: Uncle T
Me: Ok, let's try one more. Fast, faster...
Beckett: ME!

Also, he's got an incredile memory. He is really good at the game Memory and you can tell him something once and he will NOT forget. And, he can do simple addition and subtraction. He knows that 2 + 1=3; 2+3=5; 2-1=1, etc. So, his capacity to do math has surpassed his mother's. I don't mean to be one of "those" Moms, but I never knew how amazing it was going to be to be able to watch as someone learns those things we take for granted that we know. It is astounding and humbling that I get to be a part of it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...